Monday, December 11, 2017

Woof... you won't read this email

So, to explain my heading, I have had lots of fun in my district. The Ashton 1 Elders are funny, and Elder Burton says "Woof" all the time, and also "You won't". He makes everything into a challenge so we are more willing to do it :P so, you won't read this email... you won't. Lol 
This email will actually be a novel... so I don't blame you if you don't end up reading it all :P but I didn't send a group email last week, so I'm making up for it now :P

Anyways, speaking of my fabulous district, here are some other things we have done recently (since it's coming up to transfers soon, I'm taking time to reflect).
1 - we went bowling 🎳 last week! Elder Cannon took a model shot of our trio on his Polaroid camera and it looked amazing and old school.   I also didn't lose! Which was surprising! I think it's because I promised Elder Burton I would lose, so he decided to lose instead :P 
2 - We have an IKEA near our flat and it has become my favorite thing! So, we have been there on multiple occasions with various people in our district and also with other sisters in our zone.   #MeatballsAreLife. I also tried their Salmon at one point, and it was amazing! :)
3 - Our street Displays.   So, we have been decorating for Christmas every time we go to town. It started with just a blank tree on a table, and then the next time, we added some ornaments and lights to the tree, then we wrapped some copies of the Book of Mormon to put under the tree, then we got some Christmas music and put a speaker behind the tree, and added some Light the World cards to the display... yeah, we've gone all out :) We've had some funny stories at these displays too, from getting fully snowed on, to Elder Burton almost getting ran over multiple times, to running into members from around the world, and so many other things. I always have a laugh at street displays!

Also, we had a Christmas carol concert over last weekend and it was so good! 😊 At one point, the Primary children went up and were dressed as angels, and sang three songs. That was my favourite part! Everyone just did a wonderful job :) 

Okay, last thing - We were asked to give the lesson in Relief Society yesterday, and the chapter we taught was on the blessings of the temple. Since I was able to serve as an ordinance worker in the Mt. Timpanogas temple, I have become passionate about this topic, so I enjoyed teaching the class. Something that stood out to me in this chapter was a quote from one of my favorite talks from President Hinckley. 
"I am satisfied that every man or woman who goes to the temple in a spirit of sincerity and faith leaves the house of the Lord a better man or woman. There is need for constant improvement in all of our lives. There is need occasionally to leave the noise and the tumult of the world and step within the walls of a sacred house of God, there to feel His Spirit in an environment of holiness and peace... I urge our people everywhere, with all of the persuasiveness of which I am capable, to live worthy to hold a temple recommend, to secure one and regard it as a precious asset, and to make a greater effort to go to the house of the Lord and partake of the spirit and the blessings to be had therein." - (Of Missions, Temples, and Stewardship; Gordon B. Hinckley; October 1995)
This talk is one that helped me decide to go on a mission, so I've basically memorised the whole talk, but it's a good one! 
Anyways, I really love how President Hinckley describes the temple as a place of peace. I definitely know that to be true! I would like to add my urge to all of you who are reading this to also visit the temple whenever you are able to. It will give you a spiritual recharge and such an amazing experience. 
President Hinckley also said that temples are "the bridge from this life to the next". I love that statement because it is so true. I have heard many times that the veil is the thinnest in the temple. I have many experiences (and I'm sure many of you have as well) where I have felt the presence of angels so strongly, and I have seen others and witnessed their experiences of when the have been touched by those who have passed on. 
For our #LightTheWorld initiative this year, the Ashton Stake has decided to add on "Light the SPIRIT world". This means that we find an ancestor and take their name to the temple. I think that this idea should spread, so there you go - take this idea and go with it! :) 

I hope you can all find time for the temple this week to #LightTheSpiritWorld :)
Love you all! 

Th-Th-t-t-th-tha- tha - that's all folks!

Sister Wilkinson :)











No comments:

Post a Comment