Monday, November 6, 2017

🍁🦇🕸HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE 🕸🕷🔥

First off, HAPPY HALLOWEEN! I hope you have all enjoyed dressing up and other various things as you have been able to celebrate this great holiday! It's not celebrated as much over here in the U.K., but it's getting bigger and bigger each year according to the members. Our ward had a trunk or treat and other various activities that the children enjoyed. There's not much as missionaries we are allowed to do Halloween night, but my companion and I still put in some effort and my companion was a witch and I was a cat :P not my average Halloween, but I still enjoyed it!
Now the reason I say Holidays (multiple) is because we also had Guy Fawkes night this weekend. It happened to land on a Sunday, so they celebrated both yesterday and Saturday night (and all week really). Little bit of background on this day (known also as Bon Fire night): This occurs on the 5th of November every year. In started in the 1600's when a man named Guy Fawkes was caught with explosives trying to kill the king. He was the only one out of a large group of people to be caught and captured, hence why he's the name people remember. So, in the early days, they had this celebration that the King survived, but the way they celebrated was by throwing dummies of Guy Fawkes himself into a Bonfire. So... that's how it all started. According to one of the members, when she was younger, they used to still make Guy Fawkes out of cloth/cardboard/whatever else and then sit in town and say, "Money for the Guy" and people would give them pennies, and then when it came to Bonfire Night, they threw Guy into the Fire. Kind of a scary tradition I'd say :P but it's not like that anymore. Mainly it's just a big firework show kind of like the Fourth of July. There was one bonfire we saw, but I didn't really see what was thrown in. Once again, we couldn't go out past a certain time that day, but before we had to go inside, we were able to see some fireworks in the middle of Chester. So, that was fun! :)
So yeah, happy holidays! We don't celebrate Thanksgiving here (obviously), so I hope you all enjoy that when it comes to the end of the month! Eat lots of potatoes for me! Oh, speaking of potatoes, this actually happened a while ago, but we went to an American members home, and they gave us meatloaf and potatoes. Even though I'm not a big meatloaf fan, it was actually one of the best meatloaves I've tasted! Karen can definitely cook! :) also, the potatoes were AMAZING! I had 3 serving of them, and then they sent me home with a whole bag :P so that was nice of them! Anyway, main story is: I've had a great week! Filled with Candy, Fireworks, Bonfires, Games, Jokes, and much laughter. I hope you all have had an equally enjoyable week.
If not, here is some advice for you:

"Remember that you are of the royal house of the kingdom of God, daughters of Heavenly Parents, who reign throughout the universe. 
You have the spiritual DNA of God. You have unique gifts that originated in your spiritual creation and that were developed during the vast span of your premortal life. You are the child of our merciful and everlasting Father in Heaven, the Lord of Hosts, the One who created the universe, spread the spinning stars across the vast expanse of space, and placed the planets in their appointed orbits.
You are in His hands.
Very good hands.
Loving hands.
Caring hands.
And nothing anyone ever says about you can change that. Their words are meaningless compared to what God has said about you.
You are His precious child.
He loves you.
Even when you stumble, even when you turn away from Him, God loves you. If you are feeling lost, abandoned, or forgotten--fear not. The Good Shepherd will find you. He will lift you upon His shoulders. And He will carry you home.
...You can rejoice that you are a daughter of God. You can find joy and happiness in the grace of God and in the love of Jesus Christ. You can be glad. I urge you to fill your hearts with gratitude for the abundant and limitless goodness of God. My beloved sisters, you can do this! I pray with all the affection of my soul that you will make the choice to press on toward the tree of life. I pray that you will choose to lift up your voice and make your life a glorious symphony of praise, rejoicing in what the love of God, the wonders of His Church, and the gospel of Jesus Christ can bring to the world."
-President Uctdorf, Three Sisters, Women's Conference October 2017

Love you all!
- Sister Wilkinson E.M.M. :)













No comments:

Post a Comment