Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Family means nobody is forgotten or left behind

Wow! I have the best family hope you all know that! You wanna know why? First, I'll tell you a bit about my week:
Well, the beginning of this week was actually pretty hard. We were lacking in our motivation, and since many missionaries went home recently, we felt a bit discouraged. For our District Meeting, we just mainly focused on finding joy and motivation. Although it was a bit harder, I actually feel great about this week as well. I feel as if I have just begun my change of nature. This new schedule really is forcing me to have accountability and self discipline. But, I really feel that it has started to change.
At our District Meeting, there were some really powerful comments that helped me. Elder Audrlický talked about Enduring to the end, and how we need to find the joy. He said it's not, "Enduring to the end" but "enjoy to the end". Men are that they might have joy - so we know that we should not need to constantly endure. He talked about changing your nature, and quoted something that said something like, "Men try to take people out of the slumps, but Christ takes the slumps out of the people." Often, we try to just be happy and get out of or avoid those slumps, or even ignore that they are there. When in reality, we are sinking into the slumps, and we often can't make it out alone. When we involve Christ in our lives, he will take away those slumps so that we never fall again, and we can have a full change of nature. 
Sister Cannon talked about motivation and how we just have to jump into the cold water sometimes. It's the hardest to be motivated when your patience is tested, but when we go to the people and bear our afflictions with patience, we will be given success. She inspired me to start a proper 40 day fast. I started fasting last night to know all the things that have been holding me back, and have now come up with a list. This will fully help me to use the atonement every day and come to know my Savior and have a true change of heart.
Elder Thelier said something in his training that really helped me. He said, "thinking of home is what you make of it. It can either hurt you or it can motivate you." The more he talked about it, the more I understood what he meant. It means to feel like you are worthy enough to deserve them and to work your hardest until you feel that way. It reminded me of my favorite talk that I based my entire farewell talk around. It's "Of missions, temples, and stewardship" by President Hinckley. He said, "Think of all that you have that is good--life itself, health, strength, food to eat and clothing to wear, parents, brothers and sisters, and friends. All are gifts from the Lord... Two years will not be time lost. It will be skills gained. You will bless the lives of those you teach, and their posterity after them. You will bless your own life. You will bless the lives of your family, who will sustain you and pray for you. And above and beyond all of this will come that sweet peace in your heart that you have served your Lord faithfully and well. Your service will become an expression of gratitude to your Heavenly Father." I really have been blessed with an incredible family (and I've realised it even more this week) and the best of friends. I was blessed to have been raised in this gospel in such a loving home. I really have seen the Lords hand in my life, and I want to show Him how much I really am grateful for it. I want to deserve and feel worthy to continue to have these wonderful blessings.
Even though the beginning of this week was hard, I had an incredible week! Throughout the week, my family has sent me so much and I just felt so grateful to have them in my life. I received a package from my best friend, a letter from my aunt, and also a letter from my grandma. And I just want to tell you all how incredible my family is (and also about a woman we found). So, a few days ago, we went to a woman's home. She met Sister Limb at a street display and we had a return appointment. She is very involved in the Jehovahs Witness, but is not baptised yet. We shared the Restoration with her, and she could just feel the power in the Book of Mormon. She said she would read it and she was very interested. I think there are just some things that she still doesn't agree with in her church, and we were able to give her more clarity. I think she actually has a lot of potential, it will just be hard for her to change her religion. She could feel there was something different about us though and she wanted to learn more. It was such a good lesson and we really enjoyed it. So, we were already feeling good that day, and we came back to the flat that night and what did we find?? To our suprise, we found a bouquet of flowers in front of the door! It was giant and beautiful! There was a card on the top that said, "Sister Limb and Sister Wilkinson" and the card said, "Just wanted you to remember the most important thing... We love you!" But it never said who it was from. It made our day so much better! 
Then talking to my family yesterday on Skype was wonderful! It really helped me realize that there is still so much of my nature that needs to change. I am definitely staying out for another year - no doubt about it. Talking to my family really gave me that pick up that I needed. With a lot of people it makes them feel homesick, but it actually helped me so much. Hearing their stories, and telling all of my stories really helped me be able to look back at all the spiritual experiences I've had. I loved being able to hear their voices, and talking to the, and sharing a bit of my testimony with them! And I found out that the flowers came from my dad who knows a flower shop in Utah that connected to a shop in  Warrington to send us them. Apparently, they didn't even pick the arrangement, but it was very unique and even had my favorite flower in it - a bird of paradise. It was just incredible - I don't think many missionaries receive flowers randomly - how amazing is that? That was just a testimony of how much the Lord really knows me and knows exactly what I need in order to stay motivated.
This week has really helped me see the blessings I have been given, and I really do want to show my gratitude to the Lord. I think that the 40 day fast will help me do this and have a change of nature. I know the type of person I want to become by the end of this next year, and I have made goals to achieve it. I really am so grateful for the things I have been given, and I just know with all my heart that this gospel is true and that Joseph Smith was able to translate an ancient record that we now have access to in our day. The Book of Mormon is the word of God, and I am so grateful to have its direction in my life. I am grateful for the opportunity I have to share this good news to everyone here, and I am so grateful to be in Warrington with Sister Limb. She has helped me out so much. I know that the Lord always watches over us and protects us, and knows exactly what we need. His timing and will are so perfect, and knowing that helps me have more patience. I felt inspired to share all of this with you, and I do it in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
Love you all! Have a great week!

Sister Wilkinson


No comments:

Post a Comment